Scholars from Ladakh stop receiving monastic Buddhist education from the great Tibetan Mahaviharas of Drepung, Sera, Galdan, Tashi Lhunpo, Shakya, Sangag Chosling, Derge, Deprung etc. after Chinese occupation of Tibet.1959-61: Two teachers were appointed.
- Ten scholars each from major monasteries of Ladakh were admitted.
- Tibetan Literature and Buddhist Philosophy were taught.
1962: Ven Kushok Bakula Rinpoche took up the matter with Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of Independent India, and accordingly the Central Institute of Buddhist Studies (formerly known as the School of Buddhist Philosophy) was established under the agies of The Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India.
1964: The Institute was registered under J&K Society Registration Act 1998 (1941 A.D.) being an Act for the registration of Literary, cientific and Charitable Society. *Sanskrit, English, Hindi, Tibetan and Pali languages were introduced in addition to Buddhist Philosophy.
1973:The Institute was affiliated with the Sampurnanand Sanskrit Vishvavidyalaya, Varanasi, U.P.